Sunday, August 14, 2011

Planet of the...Apes?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: This was a movie that I let the commercials for it really get to me. After first seeing one before a movie a coupe months ago I was not impressed at all so as you can imagine my hopes were not high walking into the theater tonight. James Franco is a scientist finding the cure for Alzheimer's while doing periodic tests on different chimpanzees. One chimp is different (smarter) from the others being raised by Franco himself and becoming more of a human than an animal. There's the plot and the movie just takes off from there. The supporting cast was headed up by John Lithgow and Tom Felton ( aka Draco Malfoy). Throughout the movie I took note of how modern this movie is for being a prequel of a franchise that was started 40 years ago. The whole movie-making technique of "taking a concept that cannot happen, making it seem plausible, then convincing the audience that it could happen" could have been executed better by this production team and I felt some of the special effect of making the primates were too human-like. But nevertheless the ending did come in strong and was not what I, or anyone else possibly, was expecting. Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment